Monday, November 13, 2006

Doily Education

I learned a thing or three on this doily, which is item #38 in Lavori Artistici #11.


  • Check how much thread you have. This is a vintage Clark's Big Ball thread from a thrift store. It has 250 yards. This is a 100-round doily. I was able to finish 76 rounds, which seemed to be a logical stopping point. Had I been paying attention, I would have selected a smaller doily.
  • Experiment with needle size. Normally on size 30 thread, I use size 0US needles. This time I used a size 1US. I like it.
  • Variegated yarn can work on a doily, at least in my opinion. I think the solid areas help, and I like that the pattern creates a wave effect.
  • When a pattern says to work a knit and a purl in a double yarn over, do so. Don't substitute a knit and knit through the back loop. K-P twists the thread in the double yarn over. K-Ktbl does not and looks funny.
  • Remember the ILF (it looks funny) rule. If it looks funny while you are knitting, stop. It won't look better if you continue.

No comments: