I used Knit Picks laceweight yarn: Bare Merino (white) and Shadow Lost Lake (green), Jewels (blue), and Vineyard (dark red). Knit on US6 (4mm) needles.
This is one of those patterns that I needed to read thoroughly and completely before starting, making margin notes along the way. Based on that reading, I made changes from the get-go:
- Fewer colors.
- Provisional cast-on instead of a “regular” cast-on to pick up stitches later.
- Stockinette instead of reverse stockinette, with 1 stitch garter edge.
- Centered double decrease in Chart B.
- Directional double decreases elsewhere instead of k3tog.
- Picked up for the border from the provisional cast on, knit 4 rows, purl 1 row to create ridge.
- Finished with 6 rows garter and Icelandic bind-off instead of crochet bind-off.
The shawl is about 25 inches long. If I make it again, I can see more changes I might make. Someday.