Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Squared

I like square doilies. I have looked at this one several times and finally decided it was time.


This doily has some interesting attributes at the beginning and end that I had not expected. I had expected the plain center part to be one row with yarn-overs at the corners, followed by one row plain. Wrong. It is  two rows with yarn-overs, one row plain. At the end, the bind-off as written is done with knitting, not with a crochet hook. I tried it as written but did not care for it, so I used a crochet bind-off. Perhaps with practice, I could master the knitted version.

The details:
  • Pattern: Millpond, from Handmade Lace and Patterns by Annette Feldman. The book is out of print but readily available. Apparently this doily also appears in a Priscilla doilies book. It is not charted.
  • Thread: Cébélia Blanc No. 20, one ball (50 grams, 405 yards) plus a small amount (less than 10 yards) from a second ball.
  • Needles: US0 (2.0mm)
  • Finished size: Approximately 20 inches x 20 inches.

1 comment:

bj said...

Beautiful!

I believe I have that pattern somewhere too, and have wanted to make it for a long time. Perhaps eventually I will.